North Coast brewmaster Mark Ruedrich recently teamed-up with James Beard award-winning chef Paul Kahan to stage an amazing dinner at Chicago’s Publican restaurant. The restaurant, which is the go-to spot in the city’s trendy Fulton Market district, features pork and seafood dishes that are pristine and simply prepared. The bar offerings are “beer-centric,” among the best to be found anywhere and are served in an environment with communal tables reminiscent of a European beer hall. There was a truffle focus to the evening’s menu and each of Chef Kahan’s dishes was paired with a different North Coast beer:
• Kushi oysters and Nantucket scallops with Bergamot oil and white Alba truffles. Le Merle Belgian-style Saison Ale
• Buckwheat capellini alla chittara with brown butter, pine nuts, Parmesan vechi rosa and white Alba truffles. PranQster Belgian-style Golden Ale
• Smoked Pekin duck breast and sausage with rutabaga, dried apricots, and black Perigord truffles. Brother Thelonious Belgian-style Abbey Ale
• Braised beef tongue with candied niçoise olives and black Perigord truffles. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
• Dark chocolate financier with sour cherries, cherry pit ice cream and black Perigord truffles. 2010 Old Stock Ale
At $125 per ticket, over 200 appreciative folks agreed that it was a bargain!!!